3 mins in development finance/wk27
Over the summer, I hope to share more links to content I’ve digested in recent days that are relevant for those interested in Development Finance and the developing countries we invest in.
The content is not solely about impact investments, but addresses other information sources which are relevant in helping us frame a broad view about the evolving ecosystem and the news that affects it.
I am personally interested in a handful of countries in Asia, and this frames the bias you will see below.
IMF paper arguing how digital finance is supporting financial inclusion and GDP growth.
IFC is supporting green financing in Nepal & SME financing in South Africa through loans to local banks.
CDC has acknowledged that its investments in LDC would be lower as it focuses on maximizing development impact.
Update on what Vietnam is doing to encourage the growth of FinTech.
Myanmar economic growth expected to drop from 6.8% last year to circa 50bips in FY19/20, with an expected recovery FY20/21.
- *CDC pledges to deliver a decade of impact investing in support of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals
- Covid-19 — Supporting African SMEs: A priority development issue
(17 June, 2020)
- Microfinance Institution On The Front Line
(4 June, 2020)
- Proparco, finnfund and nordic microfinance initiative support proximity finance in myanmar
(4 July, 2020)
Asia Development Bank
- (28/05/2020) ADB’s support for recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic in Asia and the Pacific
- **(25/06/2020) COVID-19-Induced Uncertainty Continues to Drag on Emerging East Asian Bonds
- (16/06/20) Behind ADB’s Response to Mongolia’s COVID-19 Crisis
- (5/06/20) 6 Ways to Jumpstart a Green Recovery from COVID-19
- **(1/07/20) IFC, Citi Create $800 Million Facility to Boost Trade Finance in Emerging Markets
- *(30/06/20) IFC’s $25 Million Support to NMB Bank to Boost Green Financing and Access to Credit for Small Businesses in Nepal to Spur Thousands of Jobs
- *(30/06/20) IFC Supports Standard Bank of South Africa to Help it Expand Lending to SMEs During COVID-19
- (25/06/20) IFC Offers Incentives for Lending to Small and Medium Enterprises and Women-Led Business
- (1/07/20) Private sector infrastructure funding needs boost as SOEs overleveraged: World Bank
- (19/06/20) Debt and Investment Transparency for Better Outcomes
- (11/06/20) Philippines seeking USD 200 million loan from World Bank to aid fisheries production
- (1/07/20) FMO Awards 5 Impact Startups With €125,00 Development Capital
- (30/06/20) 2x Challenges Exceeds Initia Target By Committing And Mobilizing $4.5 Billion In Capital Towards Women’s Economic Empowerment
- (29/06/20) Blended Finance Vehicle Agri3 Officially Launched
- (25/06/20) FMO Extends A Loan To Early Dawn Microfinance To Support Micro Entrepreneurs And Small Enterprises In Myanmar
Misc content in development finance
- (1/07/20) Digital Financial Inclusion in the Times of COVID-19
- *(1/07/20) The Promise of Fintech : Financial Inclusion in the Post COVID-19 Era
Groups supported by Development Finance
- (2/07/20) Affle to acquire 8% strategic stake in Indus OS for $2.86 million
- (24/03/20) Moneyball: Ventureast’s Sarath Naru On Backing Startups That Serve The Underserved
- (5/03/20) AgriTech startup Arya raises funding from Omnivore
- **(11/06/20) How Aadhaar has revolutionized the whole financial inclusion?
- (11/06/20) Investing for impact is not optional; it is the only way
- (31/05/20) Slowing growth but expensive valuation, fund managers not buying India story
- (1/07/20) Emerging from the pandemic, Vietnam must position itself for recovery
- (30/06/20) Vietnam backs plans to develop nearly 7,000MW of new wind power
- **(29/06/20) Vietnam’s Success in Containing COVID-19 Offers Roadmap for Other Developing Countries
- *(26/06/20) Vietnam: Fintech regulatory landscape in Vietnam
- (16/06/20) Foreign Investors Return to Vietnam Stocks on Lockdown Success
- (30/06/20) Newsflash update Myanmar, June 2020: ‘’Hopes and Challenges”
- *(28/06/20) Myanmar’s Economy Severely Impacted by COVID-19